Animal Caregivers / Kennel Assistant
Michigan Anti-Cruelty Society (MACS) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) animal shelter in Detroit, MI. We are looking for the right individual(s) to help with the care and cleaning of animals in our facility. The ideal candidate is able to interact with potential adopters, answering questions about the health and temperament of each animal as well as the best fit scenario for adoption as determined by shelter management. The right candidate has a personable work history with experience working with animals being preferred. This position is part time with the potential for full time hours as business needs increase.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Physical ability to walk and/or stand on your feet throughout a normal workday.
- Allergic conditions, which would be aggravated when handling or working with animals, may be a disqualification.
- Ability to handle large breed dogs.
- Daily care of shelter animals – feeding, cleaning cages, moving animals around.
- Daily cleaning and disinfecting of the shelter.
- Giving vaccinations and medications, provide the necessary care for each animal.
- Interacting with the public, talking with adopters to find out what they are looking for in a pet and working with them to make good matches
- Updating computer database.
Specific Job Skills:
- Generalized computer skills.
- Ability and initiative, working with minimal supervision and direction.
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and work in a fast paced environment.
- The ability to remain pleasant and calm even in stressful situations.
- Familiarity with animals, knowledge of animal behavior or experience working with animals is a plus.
- Comfort and ability to work with animals of unknown disposition and those who may exhibit medical and/or other problems, as well as aggressive tendencies.
Apply in person at:
Michigan Anti-Cruelty Society
13569 Joseph Campau
Detroit, MI 48212